Monday, July 10, 2006

Don't be a hoarder.

So what exactly is a stockpile? Where do you draw the line between hoarding and stockpiling?

The Grocery Game is based on the fact that grocery stores have a 12 week cycle for sales. And most coupons will come around again during that time frame too. So the recommendation is to only buy as much of that product as you will use in 12 weeks.

Since we follow Dave Ramsey’s plan for financial planning, and his recommendation is to have an emergency fund for 3-6 months of expenses, I prefer to follow that rule for my stockpile also. If I can build up a stockpile of 3-6 months of a nonperishable item within our budget and storage limitations, then I try to do that.

It’s important, of course, to know how long you can store things safely, package freezer items so they aren’t damaged, and rotate stock.

That said, however, there are just some deals that are too good to pass up. I mean, who can possibly pass up those free items? Toothbrushes don’t have an expiration date, right??!!

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2006 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often find that green items on my list are only free if you send in a rebate to get your money back. Ive had terrible luck getting rebates back from companies, so I dont consider these items really "free". Are there ever any items that come up on your list that are really free on the spot after the use of coupons??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home